Sunday, January 29, 2012

Weekly Words To Live By #86 . . .

This old hymn was first published by John Newton in 1779.
It offers a powerful message of forgiveness & redemption.

Take the time to read each verse & take to heart the meaning of the message.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

When we've been here ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we've first begun.

Amazing Grace

Wishing you a Sunday filled with the assurance of His amazing grace . . .

6 comments:

Elena said...

I love Amazing Grace. I read that John Newton was a slaver and was saved later in his life and he wrote this song in response to God's great forgiveness for all he had done. I also heard that Amazing Grace melody was a Black melody and it is thought that he might have gotten the melody from his days taking slaves to the New World.

Susy said...

I remember singing the words "Though we've been there ten thousand years" for the first time after becoming a true believer ~ it made Eternity a reality for me. Blessings.

A Hint of Home said...

Just came from church and heard a lot of wonderful hymns of the Faith.
This is a very precious one!

Love Of Quilts said...

Love this song....I once was lost but now am found.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Still very powerful! Have a great week!...hugs...Debbie

Cindy said...

If this song does not move the believer then what will? It tells it like it is. We are nothing and yet he reached out to us in His mercy and grace!