Friday, September 4, 2009

Memories Of Highland School . . .

I attended Highland Elementary School during 1st, 2nd, 3rd, & 4th grades. Kindergarten was not offered in public school in our town, so I started 1st grade when I was 5 years old, I turned 6 in October. My school was located 2 short blocks from our house. It was a large two story brick building. I walked home for lunch everyday because the school didn't have a cafeteria. The principal (I can't remember his name) taught 5th grade on the second floor. A few times I was asked to take a note to the principal. Those stairs seemed so steep to me. There was no school office with a secretary, just a phone on a little desk in an empty classroom that hardly ever rang. If it did ring the principal answered it.


I have vivid memories of my years at Highland. I'd like to share a few of them with you!


This is how little girls dressed for school each day minus the gloves. If it was really cold I wore cordoury pants under my dress.

In 1st grade I learned to read from the Dick & Jane reading series. Mrs. Vaught was my teacher, she was a very calm lady. I remember doing phonics work pages & being a daffodil in our spring play.

Mrs. Aycock, my 2nd grade teacher, spoke with a thick southern accent, she was jolly & fun. She taught us to sing Silent Night for our Christmas play. She made sure we accented the 't' at end of the words that ended in 't'. I still have my phonics workbook with a swan on the cover.


Mrs. Young was a stern teacher with a twinkle in her eye. We walked to her house around the corner from the school to watch the inauguration of President John F. Kennedy on her black & white television.

4th grade was my last year at Highland School. The building was condemned because of its poor condition. My favorite teacher of all time was Mrs. Rose Jefferson. She had a beautiful smile. I think she was probably in her late 40s. She made sure we learned the books of the Bible. I had already memorized them in Sunday School so this was a breeze to me. We went down to the basement at least once a week to learn songs. I was amazed at how well Mrs. Jefferson played the piano. I think this is what influenced me to become an elementary music teacher. Mrs. Jefferson came to my wedding. She looked the same to me, smiling & beautiful!


8 comments:

Kari said...

Thanks for sharing those neat memories!! I loved how the little girls dressed back then! All the pictures were really cool, too =)

Darlene said...

Morning Carol,

What beautiful memories you have of going to Highland School. Weren't times so neat back then!?! Love the little girls' dresses. I mean, can you even imagine if your child came home nowdays and said they had been to the teachers home during school!!!!! Also most parents won't let their children walk two blocks anymore....it is just too dangerous. Ahhhhh, wouldn't simpler times be so wonderful again?!?!

Stacey said...

What a sweet post Carol. I especially love the perfect pictures you found to go with each memory. I wonder if you could find any of your teachers?

Patsy said...

Wonderful post, it did bring back memories.
Patsy

Elena said...

Those are such sweet memories! Thank you for sharing them.

Opie Dawn said...

What a great post and lovely memories!

Linda C said...

Oh, I love this post Carol:) What a great school and teachers! Wonderful memories.

And I love the pictures you have to go along with it- the Dick and Jane Readers...after all these years they seem like an old friend when I see them again.

Hope your are having a great holiday today:)

Hugs,
Linda

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Oh Carol, I loved this! I have been wanting to find a Dick and Jane book for so long, but they are so expensive on Ebay. I just keep thinking of how many of them must have been thrown in the trash. What wonderful memories of your teachers. A teacher could not even consider taking her class to her home these days! laurie