Friday, August 2, 2013

Sunniest Of Plants

Happy Friday!
I'm sharing some sunny thoughts from my little sunflower book.
The French word for sunflower is tournesol, or literally "turn with the sun."
The largest sunflower head on record measured 32 1/2 inches in diameter.  It was grown in Canada.
In parts of the world sunflower seed are roasted like coffee and then brewed into a hot beverage.
The sunflower was officially named the state flower of Kansas in 1903.

"One lonely sunflower growing in the sun
Wants to play and have some fun
Then whoosh went the wind
And scattered all the seeds
And now there’s lots of sunflowers
Playing in the breeze."

Anonymous

4 comments:

Vee said...

They are so beautiful...my parents used to have a lot of sunflowers growing around their bird feeder. Easy sowing!

Sis Sue said...

When we lived in Kansas there were fields and fields of sunflowers.

Denise said...

Great post, Carol, and that looks like a sweet book! I truly love to see a big field of sunflowers along the side of the road; it's such a cheerful sight in summer. :) We enjoy seeing the sunflowers when we watch the Tour de France on TV every summer. I also love to eat roasted, salted sunflower seeds. Yum -- they taste better than peanuts to me.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Denise at Forest Manor

Love Of Quilts said...

My two oldest grand's love to eat the seeds, me I don't.