Tuesday, August 21, 2012

One Of my Favorites


Today I'm featuring one of my favorite authors & illustrators of children's books, Lois Lenski. If you're from my generation you may have read these books just as I did in elementary school in the early '60s.
Lois Lenski
Oct. 14, 1893 - Sept. 11, 1974
popular and prolific American writer & illustrator
of children's and young adult fiction.

My favorite books written by Lois are, 
The American Regional Series.
I have always been intrigued by the fact that Lois traveled to each region she wrote about to do her research. Not only did she illustrate all of the books she wrote, but also for other authors.
She included a picture map of the state that each book was written about.
Here's the map from 'Boom Town Boy'.

My Favorite Lois Lenski book is, Prairie School.
This book if a portrayal of one winter in a one-room school in rural South Dakota. Delores and Darrell, with their schoolteacher Miss Martin, use their wits to survive the Great Blizzard of 1949 when stranded in the schoolhouse on the prairie.

Other books that I have from this series are . . .
Have you ever read one of these books?

This is a particle re post from January 30, 2009.


3 comments:

Sis Sue said...

I have never read any of those books. I will have to read one the next time I am visiting your house. You have a nice collection.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Carol, I don't remember reading these books, but they look wonderful. laurie

Kerin said...

I haven't read any of those books.
Now, I need to go to Amazon, and check them out!

Thanks for sharing :)

Smiles :)
Kerin