Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas Past . . .

Yesterday I received a handmade Christmas card from my sister, Susan.  She has always had a talent for creating greeting cards even when she was a kid.


 Here we are all dressed up for Christmas 1961.
Mary, age 5, proudly displaying her new Bible, baby Susan, 2 months old, me, age 9, wearing pearls and sporting a very curly permed hairdo.

 Inside of the card . . .

Yes, that's me with another perm showing off my new Barbie game.  Mary, hair in pink sponge rollers, and  toddler, Susan, trying to grow a head of hair.

Precious memories of Christmases past . . .
dolls, transistor radio, board games, cedar Christmas trees from a country pasture, candy and red velvet cake from Grandma Ruby's kitchen, doll clothes made by Grandma Minnie, church programs about the baby in the manger, Christmas caroling in the cold, crunchy snow, the warmth and security of a loving home . . .

Thank you Susan for stirring up wonderful Christmas memories.


I'm linking with . . .
Tablescaper for Seasonal Sunday 

9 comments:

Sis Sue said...

Past memories are wrapped in simple pleasures of being carefree and the security of being home. Don't forget about the Christmas light tours from the back seat of the '57 Chevy (wish we still had that car). The windows steamed over from the blazing car heater. All the while, turning and twisting through the dark streets...perfect ingredients for being car sick. Good times, yes they were!

Sue said...

This is so precious Carol! I enjoy coming here to read but also to see Santa flying in the snow, thanks for the smile.
Merry Christmas.
Hugs,
Sue

Love Of Quilts said...

Sweet memories! Merry Christmaas Trish

Barbara @ 21 Rosemary Lane said...

Carol...what a beautiful Christmas card, such a precious keepsake! 1961 was my first Christmas like your sister...I was only about 7 or 8 weeks old!

Thank you for stopping by 21 Rosemary Lane to leave your comment...it is very much appreciated!

Merry Christmas!

Gloria said...

There's nothing like looking at old photos of when we were little! I enjoyed seeing your perm -- when I was little I was trying to GET RID OF my curls! LOL!
Have a wonderful holiday,
Gloria

Kari said...

Aww this is such a sweet post! I'm so glad you had a wonderful childhood! I love hearing about all your memories!

Anonymous said...

HI Carol! Oh, how sweet of your sister to make this little card! Aren't you all so cute? :) Now I had the same little Bible you sister is holding and still have it! And I feel your pain...my mother kept my little hair all permed up. I've decided that's why it never wanted to grow very long! ;)
Merry Christmas,
Shelia ;)

Elena said...

That is so sweet. It made me think of treasured Christmas memories and how I want to build the same simple and heart felt memories for Mary:)

The Tablescaper said...

Such wonderful memories.

Merry Christmas!

- The Tablescaper