Thursday, July 14, 2011

Sunflowers . . .

The sunflower is one of my most favorite flowers.
Maybe it's because they represent the summer season.

Several years ago while on vacation we found a
bookstore going out of business.

This is one of books I bought.
Sunflowers
Growing, Cooking, and Crafting
with the
 Sunniest of Plants

Written by
Diane Morey Sitton

Throughout the book it lists fun facts about sunflowers
called
 "Seed  for Thought."


Here a few of the fun facts . . .

*
Sunflowers are the national
flower of Russia.


*
The French word for sunflower
is tournesol, or literally
"turn with the sun."


*
In early Native American culture, the
sunflower was a religious symbol, merging
with the sun in sacred and
decorative motifs.

*
In 1987, Vincent van Gogh's Sunflowers
painting sold at auction for a record
$39.9 million.

 *
The sunflower was officially named the
state flower of Kansas in 1903.

 
*
Bees make a delicious amber honey
from sunflowers.


  *
In the language of flowers, the sunflower
is the birthday flower for June 30.  It symbolizes
adoration, affection, constancy, glory,
gratitude, and infatuation.



Here is a recipe from the book that I want to try.

Sunflower Herb Dip

1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons chives
2 teaspoons parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup sunflower kernels

Blend in food processor until sunflower kernels are chopped.
Chill overnight.
Serve with crackers, chips or raw vegetables.
Yield: approximately 2 cups.



Note to self. . .
buy a bunch of freshly cut sunflowers.

10 comments:

Elena said...

That's so interesting all the stuff about sunflowers. I love them too!

Cindy said...

This really brightened up my day!

Christine said...

When I taught school I would have an art project where the children would make sunflowers and glue coffee in the center. They were beautiful. The aroma of coffee filled the classroom.

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

What a fun Post. I'm with you...sunflowers just scream "happy"!!! : )
M.L.

Becky K. said...

Beautiful!
We were at Longwood Gardens yesterday and I got some photos of their sunflowers that I am thrilled with. I'll share them soon.

Opie Dawn said...

Great post! I enjoyed learning fun facts of the sun flower. Happy Friday!

Unknown said...

What a show the sunflowers have put on for us!

thanks for stopping by

-cindy

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Love the sunflowers - one of my favorite things! The Van Gogh pic is beautiful! Linda

Rhonda said...

sunflowers are so big and pretty and show-y! I love that photo on your header.

The last few years, OSU has grown a few fields of test sunflowers out on H51 on the west side of town. But this year, either they did not plant them or the weather got them. When they do grown, they are beautiful.

Vee said...

There's just something about sunflowers. I like them because they're yellow. They certainly make an amazing header!